Thursday 10 May 2012

My neighbor Ah Teck sells tissue paper....

My neighbor sells tissue paper at food court and hawker centers. A few weeks ago, I taught him a simple honest trick to get some free food and he was so thankful to me. I told him that OCBC Bank on Sunday can just walk in on Sunday to get some free cookies and a drink. I told him, in case they pick on him and turn him away, just deposit $20 in his own bank account at cash machine and withdraw it at the ATM on the way out. He was so happy when he managed to get some cookies last week, he modified the trick...he told me he went in twice and managed to get 2 drinks and more cookies.

Today I saw him and he didn't look very happy. What happened is this. Ah Teck sells tissue (3 packs for $1) because his leg has some problems and he can't get a job - his wife is constantly sick due to diabetes. When he goes round the food court he tries not to go to the same table twice so that people don't feel harassed. Today he was forgetful and went to the same table twice and this woman got incensed and scold him "begger get lost" in chinese and flick some hot soup from a spoon onto his face. I'm not too sure but from his description the fierce woman appears to be from China.

Remember when someone comes round to your table at the hawker center to sell tissue, don't just turn them away, they may need some help and you need the tissue anyway so why not do someone a small favor...at least let the people go off with some dignity.... What goes around comes around.

1 comment:

  1. hais PR really give singaporeans bad name.... cannot even support the poor. BALIK KAMPUNG LA

    ReplyDelete